Thursday, May 7, 2009

Feeling it ..

It's been more than four years since i first entered the OR to attend surgeries either watch or assist , mostly they were orthopaedics. But, it wasn't until recently - the past few months - that i attend to the whole process of the surgery including anaesthesia and disinfection and draping and not just the cutting..
I think i am never afraid of going under the knife and think no one should be. I realize of course that every single step of any surgery carry the risk of complications, but, i never got to see how the patients feel. Some were positive about the process, others were really nervous and agitated and most of them recite verses from the Holy book whatever it was. One patient had the bible with her inside the OR.
Last night , i scrubbed in to assist on a hernia surgery, the patient was around 60 with a calm endearing face that i liked to look at. when the anaesthetist was ready to do her magic and told the patient she was about to proceed, he looked at me and stretched his hand towards me. I have never seen this before and have never held a patient's hand in my own , but i did it last night.
I held his hand in both my hands and smiled positively at him and felt his hand weigh down in my mine as he went to sleep.
That was a priceless feeling ..
and a priceless lesson ..
It's the little things that pass unnoticed that would make the huge difference.

The patient is well now.

I know El Demerdash might be a horrible place and patients could be ... let me pass such description, one actually told me " shokran ya asta " a couple of days ago .. but it doesn't matter whose fault it is .. True we don't have the money , but we have our human spirit which is priceless..

For all of you out there , share with us and everyone else your stories of the human-human contact warmth .
There must be some beauty some where there.

No comments:

Post a Comment